There are several different types of infections that can attack the vagina, and some of these infections can seem to be a yeast infection. Trichomoniasis, bacterial vaginosis, and yeast infections all have similar symptoms. As a result, many women mistakenly assume any type of vaginal itching and vaginal discharge to be the result of a yeast infection. One way to help diagnose what type of infection is attacking your body is by measuring your vaginal pH. Knowing how acidic or basic your vagina is an important clue which can be used ascertain the type of infection you are experiencing. An otc yeast infection test can be a pH test that will show you what your vaginal pH is.
If you vaginal pH is 4.5 and you have itching, burning, or a thick cottage cheese like discharge, you probably can assume you have a yeast infection. If you have a vaginal pH of 5.0 to 7.6 it is probable you have another type of infection that is in no way related to Candida. The
Bacterial vaginosis is the most common type of vaginal infection that women of reproductive age suffer from and can be misdiagnosed as a yeast infection. Trichomoniasis also causes redness, itching, and burning and can be mistaken as a yeast infection. The following symptoms are a few of the symptoms found in trichomoniasis, bacterial vaginosis, and yeast infections.
- A bad smelling vaginal discharge which can be white, gray, yellow, or green
- Redness, burning and itching of the genitals
- Experiencing pain during urination or sexual intercourse
Bacterial Vaginosis Symptoms
- Having a very “fishy” vaginal odor
- A thin grayish white vaginal discharge
- Experiencing vaginal itching and irritation
- Experiencing pain during intercourse
- Experiencing a burning sensation during urination
Yeast Infection Symptoms
- Itching sensations in the vaginal or vulvar area
- Experiencing a burning sensation during urination or during intercourse
- Having vaginal pain and soreness
- A white vaginal discharge with a consistency of cottage cheese
Vagisil Yeast Infection Test
Vagisil produces an otc yeast infection test that is basically a pH test. The Vagisil screening kit for vaginal infections can be purchased to help you learn what your vaginal pH is. Once you know the pH of your vagina, you can consider what other symptoms you are experiencing and come to a conclusion as to what type of vaginal infection you are suffering from.
Some websites, material, or products recommended by or linked to by this website may promote holistic medicine. This website is not endorsing or recommending any spiritual practice, yoga, metaphysical thought, or any holistic therapy. These practices merely show up in material discussed or promoted (such as books) on this website, and they can be wrong. If you choose to engage in holistic therapies, that is your decision.
To learn more about how to use the information of this website, you can always view the website disclaimer. Thank you!