Using an acidophilus yeast infection cure helps the body rid itself of yeast in two different ways. The first way acidophilus helps stop yeast infections is by consuming excess sugar in the environment it lives in. As you may know, yeast thrive when there is excessive sugar in the blood. Individuals with uncontrolled diabetes that have high blood sugar levels are more apt to be infected by yeast as there is an abundance of sugar present for yeast to feed off of. If you have diabetes, make sure your blood sugar levels are under control as high blood sugar levels encourages the growth of yeast fungus.
The other way in which acidophilus helps allay a yeast infection is by producing lactic acid. Acidophilus truly is an acid lover and thrives in environments with a pH below 5.0. Yeast fungus does not thrive well in acidic environments and therefore cannot tolerate environments with excessive Lactobacillus acidophilus colonization.
Any treatment expert on yeast infections should also know the importance of replenishing the amount of good bacteria in the body by ingesting acidophilus rich foods and supplements. One expert who uses natural cures for yeast infection is Sarah Summer. Summer’s methods of treating a yeast infection do incorporate more than just one natural remedy. Summer’s treatment methodologies can halt a yeast infection in as little as 12 hours. Summer’s book is published in an eco-friendly electronic format by ClickBank, a subsidiary of Keynetics Incorporated. Summer’s publication is also backed by a 8 week, 100% money back guarantee.
Acidophilus, Yeast Infections, and Antibiotics
If you have taken broad-spectrum antibiotics you are more at risk for developing a yeast infection. If you have taken tetracyclines or other antibiotics for acne you are also more susceptible to yeast overgrowth. The use of broad-spectrum antibiotics will also kill off the helpful lactobacillus and other beneficial bacteria in the body. As you may know, yeast will not be affected by antibiotics and will quickly take advantage of the extra nutrients and more suitable environmental pH; the overgrowth of yeast then causes an outbreak of an agonizing yeast infection.
If you have taken antibiotics, a good way to help reduce the chance you may be infected by yeast is to consume acidophilus either by using a dietary supplement of live acidophilus or by ingesting live culture acidophilus yogurt. Remember, if you are trying to replenish the amount of Lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria in your body by eating yogurt, make sure the yogurt you are eating contains active cultures of Lactobacillus acidophilus. Some commercial brands of yogurt do not contain the helpful Lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria and are also pasteurized, a process that kills bacteria. Dead acidophilus cannot help you reduce the sugar in your body or produce lactic acid.
In addition to antibiotics, please note that some spermicides and contraceptive creams can kill Lactobacillus acidophilus. If you use these contraceptive products you may be killing off the helpful acidophilus bacteria in the vagina and giving an opportunity to yeast to overgrow and cause another painful infection.
The name Lactobacillus acidophilus literally means an acid-loving milk-bacterium. There are many different types of Lactobacilli that normally inhabit the small intestines of humans and vagina. Lactobacillus acidophilus is considered to be a probiotic due to the fact it is beneficial to the human body. Lactobacillus acidophilus produces vitamin K, lactase, and antimicrobial substances. There have been several human trials that have shown Lactobacillus acidophilus to be helpful in treating bacterial vaginosis.
There are a few side effects that can occur through he use of acidophilus such as abdominal discomfort and gas; however, these symptoms resolve with more use. There are rare reports of infections of heart valves from people taking Lactobacillus acidophilus and this risk might be greater for individuals with artificial heart valves.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_acidophilus -- acidophilus lives in pH lower than 5, spermicicdes and contraceptive creams can kill acidophilus
- Dr. William G. Crook. The Yeast Connection and the Women, 1995. ISBN: 0-933478-22-4. (p. 338-339, sugar makes yeast multiply, p.99 acidic vagina is not conducive to yeast growth, p.47 antibiotics increase risk of YI, p.35 Candida yeasts are not affected by antibiotics)
- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/yeast-infection/DS01182/DSECTION=risk-factors -- uncontrolled diabetes increases yeast growth.
- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oral-thrush/DS00408/DSECTION=causes -- presence of sugar in the mouth via diabetes causes yeast growth.
- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/yeast-infection/DS01182/DSECTION=causes -- antibiotics kill lactobacillus bacteria.
- Prevention; May90, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p20-23, 1p (active cultures of acidophilus)
- FOLK THERAPY FOR VAGINITIS LOOKING GOOD. Science News, 3/7/92, Vol. 141 Issue 10, p158, 1/3p ( commercial brands of yogurt do not have L. acidophilus and pasteurization kills bacteria)
- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactobacillus/NS_patient-acidophilus -- general info on acidophilus, lactobacilli live in the gut and vagina
- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactobacillus/NS_patient-acidophilus/DSECTION=safety -- risk factors of using lactobacillus acidophilus
***This article and the material on this website MAY have slight errors. Make sure you check out our disclaimer.